Wednesday, December 11, 2013

So You're Bossy? WHIP IT!

There's this advertisement I recently came across that instantly caught my attention.
It was a commercial from Pantene Philippines and you would assume it was about hair. So... what's so powerful about hair?

Pantene Philippines and Rappler have launched #Whipit, an integrated advertising campaign focused on putting an end to labels about women. The television commercial at the heart of the campaign provides a range of word associations linked with gender in the workplace. The ad finishes with Pantene brand ambassador Catriona Gray encouraging women to discard the business straitjacket. Social news network Rappler has provided the research behind #Whipit, running a Beating The Odds forum and promoting online discussion around gender stereotypes and business.

There's a Harvard Business Study in the case of Heidi Roizen.
Heidi Roizen, a venture capitalist at SOFTBANK Venture Capital and a former entrepreneur, maintains an extensive personal and professional network. She leverages this network to benefit both herself and others. The case considers the steps she's taken to build and cultivate a network that is both broad and deep.

Here was the catch:
Half of the class randomly received their case with one teensy tiny change made: The name "Heidi" was changed to "Howard." Afterward, the students were surveyed, and though Heidi and Howard were found equally competent (as they should have been because they are the same person), the students found Howard much more likeable. (upworthy.com)

It's a sad reality, and one that I can relate to so very well.
I often found throughout my years in the business world and even in my personal life, I was always frequently looked upon as the "bossy", "snobby" or "bitchy" type. Why? I don't know.
Those were not my intentions as my main objective for my career was to work the best I can while staying real to who I am.
I offered my opinions, I stayed professional yet attempted to keep an open line of communication with my peers and be as nice as I can possibly be without seeming "overly nice" (which many often will confuse as being "fake").
I hate that women have to be examined so scrupulously and then judged so quickly.

I'm sorry I am just not the smiley-face, tooting every single horn, and will only tell you what you want to hear type of person.
And it's true. If my name was Charles, I bet I would be conceived differently.
And I would definitely have more "fans".

Now that I have a daughter, I see many of my strong traits in her and I couldn't be more proud.

Here's the Pantene Ad that pretty much sums it up in 60 seconds.



Oprah sat down with Sheryl Sandberg about her book, Lean In, where she she shared the case study of Heidi Roizen.

"If a women is competent, she does not seem nice enough.
If a women seems really nice, she is more nice than competent.
Since people want to hire someone that is both competent and nice, this creates a huge stumbling block for women."
(Excerpt from Lean In from Sheryl Sandberg)

Watch as Oprah and Sheryl discuss how businesswomen are judged differently than their male counterparts.


To learn more about the study, click here.

And please ladies, even if you're not having the greatest hair day -- Whip it! And Whip it good! ;)
Peace, love and chocolate.

15 comments:

Ashley said...

I love this ad. I actually thought of you when I saw it... funny! Not just because of the Philippines bit but because I've always looked at you as a strong woman!

Keeping doing what you're doing - you rock!

Anonymous said...

Interesting commercial. I agree, as females we are often judged too quickly compared to the males.

Melinda L.

MamaKujo said...

I think the women who are most successful are those who aren't afraid to be part of the "boys club", if that makes sense. In fact, I find I am most comfortable working in a mostly male environment because I don't have to be afraid to push and open my mouth and get things done. I grew up with brothers and never asked or expected to be treated any differently than they were. I think it's served me well. I know I can come off as "bitchy" or whatever to some girls. Always have. However, I think what helps me is that I am honest. Always. Fair and honest. There is no drama. No nonsense. I don't believe in confrontation for the sake of confrontation.
In the end, those who take the time to actually get to know me know I'm a big softie and a cuddle bug and loving mommy-type.
I hope that my daughter will be even stronger than me- less shy to stand up for herself and ask for what she wants. I'm still not good at that. Or asking for help.I guess that comes with the territory- still feeling the need to prove myself as supermom/woman/daughter/whatever. Lol.
Thanks for sharing!

Angela M said...

I seriously got teary eyes watching this video. It really is spot on!

Tinatchick said...

This is inspirational

Kristi R. said...

Great article! Thanks!

Victoria Ess said...

I heard her TED talk and fell in love with her.

Renalee Reyes said...

This is beautiful Carol! Love this ad! It's unfortunate but it's the truth... Thanks for sharing it!

Hide C. said...

Thanks for the video post - very interesting and unfortunately so true!

Holly said...

I hate how true this is, but I love how encouraging the ad is for women.

It's a shame that it's almost 2014 and men and women are still looked at so differently in the exact same situations.

Unknown said...

I was expecting a blog entry about it. Lol. The ad and its message is going to have an impact to so many. Women in the Philippines are learning to be more empowered which is an amazing thing.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! Very interesting because there's so much truth to this!

Unknown said...

This ad is very intriguing and impressive and yet quite true!

Anonymous said...

i absolutely love this!!its so perfect - thanks for sharing
Marla
@marlibu

Cheryl said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this to bits! Woo hoo!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2011 Carol Au Courant, AllRightsReserved.