Monday, July 2, 2012

Canada Day Flag Cake

As  I mentioned in my last post sharing the recipe for Canada Day themed Strawberry Cheesecake Bites,
I unfortunately did not get a chance to make those for Canada Day since I had very limited time on my hands and preferred to make the maple leaf graham crackers from scratch.

So, I decided to make this awesome Canadian Flag Cake recipe which I found from Kraft Canada's website.
What I love about this recipe was that not only was it super-duper easy with limited ingredients required, but also that it wasn't so heavy and truly perfect for the warm Canada Day weather.
Plus, who doesn't love jello, cake AND fresh strawberries?  All favourites in my household, especially for my daughter.


Okay, aside from my pathetic excuse of a maple leaf, this cake was delish! And such a big hit with my family and my guests.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pkg. (298 g) prepared pound cake, cut into 12 slices (I couldn't find a prepared pound cake so I went with a plain loaf cake and it tasted JUST as good - trust me!)
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 pkg. (85 g each) Jell-O Strawberry Jelly Powder (I accidently grabbed 1 strawberry and 1 watermelon jello and what a pleasant surprise!)
  • 3 cups ice cubes
  • 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries, divided
  • 2 cups thawed Cool Whip Whipped Topping (I used Nutriwhip - same taste)

Method:


1) COVER bottom of 13x9-inch dish with cake slices; set aside.


My little strawberry helper was devouring all the strawberries before I could even add them!
What strawberries, Mommy? 

2) ADD boiling water to jelly powders in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Add ice cubes; stir 3 to 5 min. or until ice is melted. Remove any unmelted ice. Stir in 1 cup strawberries; pour over cake. Refrigerate 15 min. Cover with Cool Whip.




3) REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until jelly is firm. Arrange remaining berries over dessert to resemble the Canadian flag.


How To Decorate Dessert
Using a toothpick, trace a maple leaf pattern on top of dessert. Place a strawberry slice on each leaf point, then fill in the leaf with remaining strawberries.

This cake was a great addition to my Canada Day menu and got rave reviews with everyone asking how to make it.
Try it for your next event.
You can always substitute the jello flavours and design on top to create whatever you like for any occasion. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Jessica J-Marie said...

Looks delicious! :)

Sydney said...

So patriotic!

Cheryl said...

OMG...I want this so bad right now! It looks amazing.

Unknown said...

This is exactly what I was looking for! With Canada Day fast approaching, was thinking what I could make to help end the day and this is perfect! And it's easy to boot! Thanks!

Victoria Ess said...

A simple recipe that's great for sharing at a party! Thanks!

Cheryl said...

This looks like such a easy to make, tasty cake!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2011 Carol Au Courant, AllRightsReserved.