Wednesday, December 4, 2013

New Year, New You: Tips for the Lazy


Let’s not deny it, Moms. We can be a lazy bunch, especially when it comes to our resolutions each year.
It’s not easy; after all, we have a million and one things already on our to-do list. It never ends.
Who here makes resolutions and actually sticks to them? Not me.
If you do, I truly and whole-heartedly applaud you!
Also, this post may not be for you.

I’m here to talk to the lazy folk. Let me re-word that.
The beautiful, lackadaisical, well-intentioned ladies that really want to accomplish and cross off all on their to-do list but tend to fall off the wagon a few times throughout the year (*cough*January 2nd*).

It’s not a crime slipping on your resolutions and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you. It’s just really tough sticking to goals when it can seem a little insurmountable to our already long list of things to do.


I think what needs to change is writing a resolutions list. 
I do love lists though. I'm list-obsessed. It helps me stay organized and the feeling of crossing things off is amazing. 
But perhaps for your resolutions, start the year with a fresh new and positive perspective on life. Make it a goal (in your head) to make it a year filled with lots of FUN and ACTION and more time with your children.
Less time in front of a computer or on your smart-phone and more time getting fresh air and playing more.
Less greasy foods that are making you even more sluggish and more yummy foods that actually give you the energy you so badly need. Doesn't mean you can’t have a cupcake!
Less shouting and stressing and more laughing and breathing – this is so important!
Organize and clear out your closet of all those too-small, too-big or too-old clothing you have lying around and donate to your local consignment shop. This makes space for new clothes that will fit the brand new you once you start making it a goal (in your head) to get more active this year! Shopping as motivation? AWESOME!

I recently read this article on the Globe and Mail and found these to be super helpful!

One of the biggest wastes of money every start of the year is a monthly gym membership. We get excited, lock into a contract, and then lose our motivation come spring. This year, don’t jump into a membership unless you’ve demonstrated you’re committed to regular workouts – just because you start paying $50 a month doesn’t mean you’re suddenly serious about getting into shape. Set up a home gym next month as the first step.

If you live in a small space, then commit to a walking or running schedule. In a recent YouTube video, Dr. Mike Evans, a physician at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, explained why walking is the single best thing we can do for our health. And the good part is that the number one thing we can do for ourselves is also free.
I always like FREE.

So what do you think? Do you feel less inundated for the start of 2014?
In 2014, you will forgive yourself for not sticking to all your New Year’s Resolutions. Times are tough; you’re doing the best you can. Be gentle with yourself.

Have a Safe & Happy New Years!

18 comments:

Judy Cowan said...

I never make New Years Resolutions because I know I won't ever stick to them :) No sense adding undo stress to a New Year...lol (Judy Cowan)

Victoria Ess said...

I usually make resolutions and agree with you that the most helpful thing is to be kind to yourself. I find I'm much more likely to try again if I don't beat myself up over failing first.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree. I am horrible with NY Resolutions...it usually falls out of my mind by say... second week of Jan. I have improved on that somewhat by rewarding myself for keeping to what I promised... well somewhat :)

Melinda L.

Holly said...

lol I no longer bother with resolutions. I usually do well for the first couple of weeks and then it just goes downhill from there. Instead, I just try and make necessary changes throughout the year... I find with New Years resolutions, it's like this unspoken added pressure of having to stick with it. If you just make changes for the better as they come, you're more likely to stick with them.

Erika E said...

The title of this post put a smile on my face. I stopped making a list a long time ago. It seemed like a waste of time even though I also am list-obsessed.

Laurie B-C Amazon Reviews said...

I tend not to make New Year resolutions. I don't stick to them for very long and then end up feeling upset about it. Instead I make myself a daily resolution... Wake up and Be HAPPY :)

Unknown said...

I've never actually made a list.. But I know for sure that I mentally come up with one.. Lol. I think it's all in good fun to start of the year making an attempt to better ourselves.

SS_Summer said...

I totally agree about not paying for a gym membership. I've been able to get into great shape just by utilizing small home equipment and getting outside

Unknown said...

I gave up making new years resolutions for new years. i cant even stay away till midnight anymore. Chandra Christine O'Connor

STEPH said...

Such a great idea, I need to make my own list!

Hide C. said...

I have stopped making resolutions with the New Year as I seem to be making them throughout the year now that I am a very busy parent. There is always something I need to improve upon!

MrDisco said...

I live my life:
1. one list at a time.

My Villa said...

it's so true though. you make a list and you only stick to it for a few months. i find that when you are willing to change something, you will do it when you are ready. it has to be on your own terms and not what you write on a piece of paper. that's the only way you will stick to your goals

Marla said...

I love resolutions. People just need to make realistic attainable goals to avoid failures

Unknown said...

Oii, so many things on that list, that I have not accomplished. Every year I say I am going to eat better, lose weight and exercise and every year it is the same thing. Sometimes I think it is exhaustion from all the other lists that pile up!

Sue2Sueper said...

Ha Ha. I am too lazy to even make a New Year's Resolution. I just like to always try to focus on doing the best in everything from eating to exercise, and I mean always... We get lazy on that always part, but it's not a resolution, just life. :-)

Walk Daily --- no expensive gym membership. :-)

SueSueper Sue

Unknown said...

I don't make New Year's Resolutions but I do reflect on the past year.

Angela M said...

I've never really made New Year's resolutions before but I like the idea of starting off the year with a new attitude and fresh ideas for staying happy, healthy, and having fun with the family withthout any specific goals.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

© 2011 Carol Au Courant, AllRightsReserved.